Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Don't Tell the Landlord

My Bedroom, Paris
Photo (c) Lesley Powell
It has been so overcast and dark in Paris that I have not been outside painting again since my maiden voyage. But---I carried my paints and gear all the way across the Atlantic, so I am not to be deterred! A rainy morning seemed just the right moment for painting an interior.

The top photo shows my bedroom in my rental flat. It is simple, but very Continental in feel. (Don't tell the landlord that I was using oil paints in the apartment). I found a way to set up my easel in the bathroom and peer into the bedroom to get this view. I did several preliminary sketches, then an oil panting. The light began to change while I was painting, as the skies brightened a little bit--amazing how fleeting the moment is, even when painting indoors! My nearly-finished painting is below.  It needs cropping and some other adjustments, but I like the way it captured a quiet moment. I hope that my next post will find me painting outdoors, so check back soon.


"My Boudoir"
Oil on Linen



No comments:

Post a Comment